Thursday, September 25, 2008

Building a Testimony


  • Conversation with Kimball after school--

    Kimball: "Mom, I said a prayer today."

    Me: "Did you pray at school in front of the whole class?"

    Kimball: "No, I said a prayer in my heart."

    Me: "What happened, did you need some extra help from Heavenly Father?"

    Kimball: "I was in religion class and they were talking about the trilogy-they think that Heavenly Father, Jesus and the Holy Ghost are all one person. I felt sick in my stomach and knew that wasn't right. I said a prayer to myself and the Spirit told me that it wasn't true."

    Me: "That's right! We believe they are all separate people. Heavenly Father is your Father, Jesus is your older brother, the Savior, and the Holy Ghost is a Spirit that teaches and comforts and testifies. You have that special gift-for Him to always be with you. I'm so glad you prayed and that the Holy Ghost spoke to you. I'm glad you were listening!"

    Kimball: "I know."

    Me: "Throughout your whole life you will hear or read different ideas. It is important that you always know where to turn to find the truth. I'm so proud of you. Now you have a testimony of the Godhead, because the Spirit testified to you of it today."

    We both had tears in our eyes and we hugged.
    Kimball: "I can feel the Holy Ghost right now!"
    Me: "Me too!"
    What we believe: Click here

8 comments:

PacPaliGoulds said...

What a wonderful expereince! See you are a fantastic Mom!!

LN Queen said...

Learning to recognize the Spirit is the key!
Grammie

Michal said...

aren't those moments so precious? i love it when i get to be a part of a conversation like that with one of my kids.

Guymon Family said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I could feel the Spirit too! I'm glad Kimball has parents who have taught him well, otherwise he could have been very confused today. Kimball is such a great kid.

MontereyBayKids said...

That's great Julianne.

It reminds of Elder Hales great talk in the last conference on the topic. It's a simple testimony and a basic principle. This is great! Ned

Melanie S said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That is so cute. I am so not surprised, though. That little Kimball is just a special boy. Miss him and miss you too! Hope you are doing well! I was glad to find your blog.:)

Kendra said...

That is so beautiful. You don't have to be a seminary trained scholar to receive truth when your heart is pure. Wow!

niknfil said...

I have just spent the last little while catching up on you guys by reading your blog. I'm glad I finally started one. Sounds like you had some interesting school experiences. That is a stressful situation! I am glad you were able to get it all resolved. Also those doughnut pictures you put in made me hungry! Sorry I thought you lived in Michigan instead of Wisconsin. Some days I forget where I live!! J/K