Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just call me Mrs. Piggy

So for the last week I have been really sick. It started on the 4th with lots of allergy symptoms and fatigue. I figured this was pretty normal since I am 30 weeks pregnant and had just been on a week long vacation camping and to Nauvoo. By Monday my head was hurting a lot and my body hurt. I called the OBGYN and they said I could take Clariton D and Tylenol. On Tuesday, by the time Jeff got home from work I was sitting on the kitchen floor crying uncontrollably. My head hurt so bad I could barely even open my eyes. After another call to the OB they instructed me to go to the walk-in clinic. As soon as I got there they put a mask on me and put me in a room. The doctor said he suspected I had the flu but that they couldn't do anything for me. They did a throat and nose swab to test for the flu. Wednesday they called and told me that the throat swab had come back positive and that I indeed had the flu -influenza A. Jeff said, " Great, at least it isn't the swine flu." So Wednesday and Thursday I slept in bed praying that the kids wouldn't hurt themselves, hurt each other or get lost. Jeff gave me a blessing Tuesday night and blessed me that I would be able to relax and let my body heal. If you know me, you know this is exactly the blessing I needed. Usually when I am sick, I don't rest but just keep going and going and going and it takes forever for me to completely get better. It really is hard to just lay in bed when you have five kids getting into all the food, making messes and the laundry piles getting higher and higher. Luckily, I could relax and just sleep all day. Kimball really stepped up and took care of the boys. They even kept to their schedule of chores and reading.
Well, Friday I get a call from the state health department asking if they can ask me a bunch of questions. The nurse tells me that my children and husband all need to take the Tami flu medication. I then interrupt her to explain that I just have the influenza A, not the N1H1 swine flu. She then proceeded to tell me that I did have the swine flu and needed to call my OB right away, as well the as the children's pediatrician . She told us we needed to quarantine our family until next Tuesday. So now after 5 days of symptoms they tell me what I have and what to do to keep my family and I safe. The next dilemma came when one Dr. told me to take the Tami flu (anti-viral medication) and that it wouldn't hurt the baby and another Dr. told me not to take it because they didn't know how it would affect the baby. So after lots of prayers and advise we are all taking the Tami flu pills, quarantined in our home and praying that we will all be healthy- especially our baby Abigail!!

3 comments:

LN Queen said...

We are also praying for all of you. You need to get better so you can celebrate your Birthday, too. I thought you were the Baers, not the Pigs. Hope you think that is funny? Love of love, MOM

Guymon Family said...

I hope you can regain your strength soon and your family can be healthy and strong. I am praying for you and your baby!

momof7 said...

Crazy--to be so sick. I hope you are feeling better now. It was fun to visit on the phone for your birthday.