Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fence? or NO Fence?


Living without a fence around our yard has been quite the adventure!
A month or so ago I glanced out my back window and to my astonishment I saw an old man with long gray hair, pulled back into a pony tail, jumping on our little trampoline. It isn't a regular sized trampoline-it's a small one, for little kids. He was flying high, laughing and having a grand old time. I was in complete shock and ran through the house making sure that my children were all inside. I then hid in my house, peeking out the window every few minutes to see if he was still there. He stayed for a half hour or so enjoying himself.
A couple of weeks ago, I again looked out our back window and saw 4 little kids jumping on our trampoline. I'd never seen them before and then I looked again and saw a mom and dad with the kids. I thought, this can't be. I have never seen these people before and for some reason they are showing up at my house. I bravely walked outside. They were shocked to see that someone lived in my house. A little embarrassed, they asked if their kids could jump. I kindly explained that it was fine but that I would not be responsible if someone got hurt. They were so happy to hear that they could stay and jump. I went inside and instructed my kids that this evening they would have to play inside because some total strangers were using our yard. The next thing I know, I look outside to see that the parents have retrieved their own lawn chairs and are settled in for an evening of relaxation. In my backyard! A fence will be a number 1 priority when choosing our next home!!!!


Last night we were having the monthly lecture with the boys about rules of conduct, safety and obedience. This lecture has been repeated many many many times and will be for the next 20 years no doubt. Items covered were: talking to strangers, picking up their clothes, saying please and thank-you, not going in the street, watching out for each other, not leaving Spencer outside, only one person jumping on the trampoline at a time, no hitting, punching, kicking each other. You get the idea. Basic boy stuff that has to be repeated over and over again each day.


As many of you know, I often use scary, even morbid stories to teach my kids or scare them out of doing things. That's another post for another day. I thought I would try out a new one for the boys. Well, we came to our last item which was, staying in our own yard and not wandering onto other peoples property. Yes, a fence problem again!!! I informed the boys that some people have invisible electric fences for their pets. I told them that I was considering buying one to keep them in our yard. The boys got very anxious about this suggestion. Kimball immediately started telling us how he would use baby powder to figure out where the invisible electric line was. Samuel wanted to know how it would feel to get shocked by electricity. Joshua started crying, begging us not to buy one. He didn't want to accidentally run into it. Samuel asked, "How would you find it at the store if it was invisible and how do you carry it if you can't see it." The conversations and questions about this invisible fence went on and on and on. Brigham was quiet and taking this all in when out of the blue he said, "I know, why don't you just get a real fence so that we can see it!" It was so hilarious we all started laughing and couldn't stop. The lecture was now over but one we will never forget. Oh, the Joy of 5 Boys!!!

8 comments:

LN Queen said...

Hillarious! Love it all! MOM

Mr Gould said...

I laughed and laughed- so funny!

Mr Gould said...

that was sarah!

DaveandTeneal said...

THat is scary having all those people in your backyard. Thank you for big block walls in AZ. I loved the invisible fence conversation. I wish I could have been there for that one

Anonymous said...

SOOOO funny! That is totally you! I remember you telling the boys (including mine) to stay close to us on our walks/bike rides so that they didnt get kidnapped and sold in China!!! So true, yet so funny. This is the funniest post I have read anywhere in a very long time. Keep-um commin Sista!

Jana said...

Lol, I just found your blog and I love it. :) Glad to hear that you have recovered from the flu now. That must have been scary!

The Boyos said...

That is so funny Julianne. The man jumping on your trampoline was the best. You wouldn't think that it would really happen. HILARIOUS!! People are crazy sometimes!

Melanie said...

Oh, that is so funny! Julianne, your baby girl will be here soon! Can't wait!!!