Twelve years ago today Jeff and I were dating. He invited me to go to the Salt Lake temple with his single adult ward. Beforehand they had a dinner in the cafeteria. We were sitting at a table eating when one of his friends asked, "So are you guys dating seriously?" I didn't respond (mostly because I was a little unsure where things were going), but Jeff immediately said, "Yes, we basically just have to pick a date (for marriage)!" I was shocked, I looked at him with surprise and then his friend started laughing and said, "Oh, Yeah, APRIL FOOLS!!!" I had forgotten that it was April Fools day and then I really wondered where we stood in our relationship. You know, just the usual insecurities of a girl in love.
Later, while sitting in the chapel, Jeff leaned over to me and said, "Have you prayed about us?" I quickly said, "NO, have you?" He said yes, and then asked me to pray about "US" during the session. So during the next two hours I prayed. Jeff kept spying me to smile and look for any expression on my face. Needless to say I felt very peaceful the entire time and mostly just wanted to jump out of my seat and go hug Jeff.
As we sat in the Celestial room
Jeff: "Did you pray about us?"
Me: "Yes"
Jeff: "And, well, what do you think"
Me: "I feel really good!"
Jeff: "Well, I guess we aren't in any hurry"
I then thought, OK we are now at a different level in our relationship, now we will start discussing marriage with each other. I had never gotten to this point with anyone else so I was just trying to think logically what the next step would be--since we aren't in any hurry.
Jeff: "Well, I am going to pray before we leave." -----Silence as Jeff prays------
I prayed too.
After we finished saying our personal quiet prayers Jeff looked up at me and said,
"Will you marry me?"
Completely shocked---
I very calmly
said,
"Yes!"
I Love You Jeff today more than ever!!! Thank-you for asking me, even if it was on April Fools Day!!
Later, while sitting in the chapel, Jeff leaned over to me and said, "Have you prayed about us?" I quickly said, "NO, have you?" He said yes, and then asked me to pray about "US" during the session. So during the next two hours I prayed. Jeff kept spying me to smile and look for any expression on my face. Needless to say I felt very peaceful the entire time and mostly just wanted to jump out of my seat and go hug Jeff.
As we sat in the Celestial room
Jeff: "Did you pray about us?"
Me: "Yes"
Jeff: "And, well, what do you think"
Me: "I feel really good!"
Jeff: "Well, I guess we aren't in any hurry"
I then thought, OK we are now at a different level in our relationship, now we will start discussing marriage with each other. I had never gotten to this point with anyone else so I was just trying to think logically what the next step would be--since we aren't in any hurry.
Jeff: "Well, I am going to pray before we leave." -----Silence as Jeff prays------
I prayed too.
After we finished saying our personal quiet prayers Jeff looked up at me and said,
"Will you marry me?"
Completely shocked---
I very calmly
said,
"Yes!"
I Love You Jeff today more than ever!!! Thank-you for asking me, even if it was on April Fools Day!!
8 comments:
Congratulations on number six! I am so happy for you guys and I bet your boys are so excited! I am glad you are starting to feel better.
Thats soooooo cooool! I voted boy on the poll. Even though I want to meet cpousin Abigail!
Mary
I never heard your side of the story. That is great and I'm glad you said yes.
What a fun April Fool's story! That makes it a fun and romantic day for you from then on! I of course voted for a girl since I had a dream about it!!
Very sweet story! Congratulations!
What a wonderful story! I had never heard that before! Did you have stake conference today? If you did then we heard the same message! I can't wait to hear what you are having!! I'll have to call you soon!
I love it! You guys are one of the most inspirational couples. I really admire what a great team you make. Thanks for your great example. Congratulations on number six! We're super happy for your family. Best, best wishes!
what a great story! and the rest is history. . .
Post a Comment